Saturday, September 09, 2006

Last day at the LDA

Yesterday I finished up my job at the LDA, and said goodbye to some great people who only added to what was a great working opportunity for me in London. The development policy team I worked in comprised of a small group of planners who under some great leadership from newcomer Lucinda, seems destined for some exciting challenges and new types of work under a new structure which is just commencing - sadly, this happens just as I leave the team. That's how it happens sometimes I guess..

But my time there has been great, and should put me in a good position to utilise the big city experience in whatever I venture into in Brisbane. I guess we'll see what that is come December this year.

After work we went up from St Katharines Dock to The Pride of Spitalfields pub where I was promised a traditional East-end boozer and the best English Ales (a.k.a. beer) I could find - the bosses recommendation didn't disapoint! After a few there, a few of us went to the Truman Brewery complex fronting Brick Lane where we relaxed in a bizarly out of place sandy beach area where you could sit ack in a deck chair and stair out across to the Gherkin. Carly met us here and I introduced her to some of the work crew. When the group had thinned out a bit more we went down Brick Lane and stopped in the Exit bar for a cocktail nightcap, before dropping into what is a Brick Lane insitution - the 24hr Bagel shop for a fresh 'Salted Beef' (Mum/Jay - read 'Corned Beef'! yum!) bagel with mustard, and a cream cheese bagel to save for breakfast if I could stop myself from eating it on the way home.

It was a great night, and I will miss the job and the people very much. It isn't the same when you leave a job and go to another one in the same city - this time I won't be able to just catch up with these guys for lunch or a beer to see how things are, which is a bit sad.

But I certainly won't forget the year and a bit I spent working at a desk overlooking the Thames river, where I could see nearby Tower Bridge opening for the tall shipping, and each day walk into work around the outside of the always impressive walls of the Tower of London. It will be tough to beat that..

So if anyone in south-east Queensland is seeking a qualified town planner with 6 years experience for a senior role in project or development application management starting in December, then drop me a line over the next few weeks!

-shane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home