Thursday, August 17, 2006

i'm 28

Yesterday I turned 28. And I had a fantastic day!

Waking in the morning I got given some small presents from Carly - a beautiful book called The London Companion, which is full of short tid-bits, stories, and facts about this great city. As well as that she had brought me a new Arsenal Home jersey, as they've changed shirt sponsors for this year and have reverted back to their red & white after last years special edition commemorative maroon strip. So now I have both game shirts from when I've been supporting them here. During the morning I got some great text messages and emails from all over the place, and of course a call from my mum and brother Jay.

My day at work was great. My team organised a great Arsenal-themed card for me, and put in for a very good bottle of French chardonnay which we'll take with us this weekend to Belgium. Tasty!

The best was yet to come - after work Carly picked me up from St Katharine's Docks and we walked over Tower Bridge to morechampagne in the More London complex next to City Hall. When we got there we spotted iconic cricket commentator and ex-Australian captain Richie Benaud, who was there with what looked like a table of ex-players from his era having a few bottles of white.. So we took the table next to him and had a laugh to ourselves about seeing him here, especially since he isn't commentating the UK season anymore..

After a bottle there we headed over the river to the City, where Carly surprised me with a booking of the best window seats available at the Tower 42 champagne bar, Vertigo, overlooking the Thames, St Pauls, the Tate Modern, the London Eye, Tower Bridge, and off into the distance West London and home. Originally built by the NatWest bank, it is currently the tallest building in Central London and the view over the capital is breathtaking. So we got a bottle and sat back, chatting away as the sun set over the West End and all of the lights slowly came on. It was spectacular. I was so impressed with her secret planning to finally get me up here.



As you'd expect we never made it to dinner after spending hours up there in our prime spot, but I had myself a brilliant 16th of August.

Now, off to Belgium tomorrow for Carly's turn.

-shane

2 Comments:

At Sun Aug 20, 07:09:00 pm GMT+10 , Anonymous Michael Spargo said...

I sent you a text - don't know if I got the area/country codes correct. Hope it arrived. Happy Birthday!!

 
At Wed Aug 23, 12:52:00 am GMT+10 , Blogger Shane & Carly said...

Thanks mate - yeah I got your message, cheers..

Will let you know how Brussels and Bruges went - blog entry and pics coming soon.. we had a great time!

-shane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home