Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Top of the Gherkin!

This post might not mean much to people at home, but I am damn excited about it!!

As I type this off-line entry, I am on the Tube on the way home from a Building Research Establishment function to launch a Centre of Excellence in Construction partnership initiative with the UK’s top build environment Universities. This normally wouldn’t mean much to even me, but this event was held in the restaurant/function area on the top floor of the 30 St Mary Axe building, otherwise known as the “Gherkin”.


An external view of the building amongst the City skyline; and the view from the top floor during the day

This building is rarely open to the public and even if you got in there on a business engagement you’d probably not get to go to the area at the very top - so the chance to get up there as an invitee to a work function was an absolute treat that I will remember for a long time.


The brilliant domed roof over the top of the top floor function area

Some 40 storeys up from London City below, work colleague Bronwyn (an Aussie environmental policy advisor from Brisbane, formally of the EPA office in Brisbane) and I headed there after work, and found ourselves treated to white wine, canapés, and fantastic salmon, pasta, and ‘bangers and mash’ dishes while picking out sights across overcast London.

It was something I’ll never forget from my time here, and it was great to have shared it with a co-worker from Brisbane.

-shane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home